Sunday, June 06, 2004

Solitude or Loneliness

Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone, while solitude expresses the joy and glory of being alone.

I am not quite sure if I am at a stage when I feel lonely or am I still enjoying my occassional periods of solitude. More often than not, I enjoy the time when I go about my own business and not being disturbed. I do not feel the need to butt my head into other people's business unless they specifically come up to me with a problem, and likewise I do not like people poking their nose into my issues until I approach them with it. But, there are disturbing moments when I start pondering on the pain of being a single entity instead of its joy. These few moments are not enough to bring my mood down permanently. However it is something I do have to re-examine before it grows to become an issue with me, isn't it.

一个人,有容易的一面,也有麻烦的一面。其实说到底,是一种矛盾的心理状态。

最近在看一本书,里头有一句话我觉得很对。
“一个人总要面对一个人的问题”。
孤单也好,寂寞也好。问题还是自己一个人的。别人不能帮你,他们只能暂时引开你的注意力,可他们不会把问题带走。

Since I choose to ponder on my own issues alone, I should face them alone without too many distractions. Together with any self-awareness and additional issues that being a single entity brings along.