Sunday, May 23, 2004

So what do you do for a living ..

On this latest trip to Hawaii, we went to this really authentic *read as touristy* Hawaiian cultural center for a luau feast. You know, where you would travel through time with real Polynesians as they share their 50-century old culture and spirit in music, laughter and dance; discover villages as they were centuries ago and hear legends and customs dating back over 2000 years, blah blah blah.

In essence, experience the true Aloha spirit.

The entire day at the center was pretty pleasant enough.

Come dinner time, and the 3 of us were sitted with another 4 elderly Americans who are probably on their 2nd honeymoon. Damn, I hate making small talk. But given the circumstances, not much of a choice since they were extremely interested in 3 Asian girls who gabble away in English instead of Japanese (You know, the irritating thing about being Asian and travelling in Hawaii is people just assumes you are a Jap. Immediately they would just go "konichiwa" and bow. Hello, Asia constitute more than just Japan alone. And not only the Japanese have the moo-lah to travel to USA, you know. But that is a pet peeve story altogether on its own).

Anyway, after the customary "what are you from" nonsense. The conversation turns to how old we are. Oh well, apparently I do not look a day over 21. Woo-hoo! After the realization that I am rather old (approaching 30 in a matter of blinks), it has to go to "so what do you do for a living"?

Hmm, I said with a deadpanned face "I am not working now".

Silence.

"So how do you earn your living"? Her question came after some twirling in her brain.

Silence.

My sister came to my rescue and said "She has rich parents".

Case close. No more questions.

Hmm... Saved by my sister once again. But earlier I was thinking that I should perhaps really come up with something that I can write under the column "Occupation" when filling up forms or when fielding questions from strangers. Preferably something quite a mouthfull so I can buy some time for myself while people figure out what it really means.

"So what do you do for a living"?

"I am a professional doer of nothing".

How does that sound?