Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Occam's razor

I was just reading, and I came across this phase known as Occam's Razor - "entia non sunt multiplicanda preaeter necessitatem". It translates literally into English as "Plurality should not be posited without necessity"; or what as the book said "No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary".

Actually I was reading "the curious incident of th dog in the night-time". Lovely book I have to say, but that is not the point tonight. This phase was used inside and I was a little taken with the meaning although I do not really know what it truly means at this point in time.

So, I just went "huh".

I guess in modern society, this can actually be referred to as the principle of simiplicity. Keep it short, keep it simple, keep it sweet. There is no need to throw in a whole lot of assumptions and parameters into the equation.

No doubt, like all maxims, this one suffers from its own deficiencies. But life is complicated enough at times. A maxim like this can come in handy at clearing the clutter from your own thoughts at times.