Friday, May 14, 2004

A day at Waikiki ...

[@ Miramar Waikiki Hotel]
Finally back at the hotel after a full day out.

Renting a vehicle makes the entire holiday a much more mobile and flexible trip. Anywhere you fancy, just take the car out and only time is between you and your intended destination. No doubt that hiring a car adds cost to your trip, (especially with the parking and petrol costs) but the flexibility is totally worth it in my opinion.

Haha, and just for the record, yours truly is driving a really small (but nifty) Jeep Wrangler here. A car that I would never drive in Singapore. A 4-wheel drive plus being left hand drive is quite a challenge, which I do relish a lot … ;o)

Today was a pretty nice cool day in Honolulu, being cloudy for most part of the day. Basically it was a lot of looking around and just window shopping. Not really intending to visit those tourist attractions like Pearl Harbor. These attractions have been done to death and they would not really miss another 3 girls. And when it was not quite cloudy, rain came. It can actually get rather chilly with the rain and the wind.

Now, you would ask me. Exactly what am I doing outside when it is raining cats and dogs in Honolulu?

You know one of the 3 finalists in American Idol? This gal called Jasmine Trias from the state of Hawaii? Well, she happened to make a trip back to her hometown for these 2 days, courtesy of the network. And tonight, she was scheduled for some torch lighting tonight at Waikiki Beach. Guess what? I actually went, made up part of the crowd who were there screaming her name. Now for some clarification, I went along because my xiaomei wanted to go there, and 一睹风采。我已经超龄了,不适合再去追偶像了。Anyway, I could not believe the crowd and how the state of Hawaii went nuts over her. According to the Hawaiian papers this morning, this Jasmine girl has a “Jasmine Trias” day named after her yesterday when she landed home yesterday.

Hello, you are only 17 and you get a day named after you just because you are one of the finalists in American Idol?

My my my….

Anyway, although it was raining cats and dogs, we all went along to the beach, cold and wet, so as not to disappoint my sister. I guess now she can go back home and tell all her friends that she saw Jasmine Trias in Waikiki, no less.

American Idol? Hmm, the show that turns ordinary people into stars, people in the streets into different camps of supporters and the biggest winner of them all are the networks and of course, the telecommunications company, AT&T in this instance, who earns all the moo-lah with all the callers calling in to vote for their heroes.

I wonder if this would be the case for Singapore Idol. Haha, can you imagine the population of Ang Mo Kio turning up at Ang Mo Kio Central to support the finalist residing in AMK?

I cannot. But I could always be wrong… ;o)