Sunday, July 11, 2004

The status of leisure

If I get a dollar every time someone asks me when I am going to get a job, I would be pretty well off by now. Unfortunately I do not see anyone proposing such a system be set up. And for the record, if I see something interesting that I want to try my hand at (and which happens to pay a salary); I may go get a “job”.

To clear the air, I find it of utmost importance that I occupy myself every moment of the day when I am awake. And sometimes that activity that I choose is allow myself to do absolutely nothing and just stare into blank space, and plugging into some music while idling is also considered “doing something” in my opinion likewise. For the former, I am allowing my subconscious to emerge and see the light of the day. For the latter, I am just listening to music (what’s with constant multi-tasking anyway).

Somehow as the world progress and gets plunged deep into the speed revolution, work and leisure takes on increasing different meaning and importance. Leisure has a lower status in modern society compared to work. Leisure suggests idleness and wasting time and resources. Leisure is barely moral in the eyes of many today. And indeed, my “unemployed” status is not quite acceptable to many people around me.

To people who think like this, I have this to share:

“Learn to pause … Or nothing worthwhile will catch up to you”

Doug King


I have nothing against work, really! I do sincerely believe that working for the sake of survival is rational and necessary. Work is necessary, but it may not contribute as much to our own mental and emotional well-being as you think it does. Before you get all caught up and excited in your own concerns and run about in anxieties, just remember this – It is not enough to be busy. What are you busy with?

Do not banish leisure to the status of immorality. It has much more to offer than you know or can imagine.