Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Thankful

Today I had dinner with a dear friend of mine. This friendship was not meant to happen. It was not exactly in the plans. It wasn’t even supposed to happen. Then through a chance of rare occurrence, a friendship was struck up. She saw me at my worst; saw me through the emotional lows. The good deed was reciprocated a period of time later. I offered my helping hand and listening ears while she dug herself out of her own emotional hole.

Because we saw each other at each other’s worst and weak side, there is no topic that can never be broached.

Incidents that happen out of intention or happenings that are expected are muted. They are not by chance. They are without any message, and they do not say anything to us. And for this very reason, a friendship that occurred by chance will often say much more to you than any other friendships that are built out of necessity or need. It is often honest, stark and without reservation.

And for this, I value this friendship a lot.

It could have been anyone who showed the care and concern. It could have been anyone whom I showed my worst side to. It could have been anyone at all.

And it was her.

I do not expect any friendship to last my entire lifetime. If any does, I consider it my good fortune and good luck.

But for whatever I already have enjoyed and reaped, I am thankful for it.

Now she is in another stage of her life, building her own family.
We have all put our bad memories behind us.


I am very happy for you.
And you have my best sincere wishes.
Congrats.