Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Sometimes a little flattery from someone would throw a spanner into your "intended plans".

Today the manager I was working for suddenly turned and asked me "Do you want to do China subs?"

I was stunned for a moment. So I quickly asked "What do you mean?"

She replied and said "I want to book you to do my China subs next year for this group."

I was extremely flattered. I had worked for this manager for just about 2 days, because of the tight deadline, the entire audit was a big rush. And I would hardly have thought of impressing anyone during these 2 days. My main concern was just to get the work done and stay out of trouble.

And here there was, someone wanting to book my time one year ahead to go to China and audit the companies there. And typically China bookings are pretty tough jobs to do, with a lot of reliance placed on the senior-in-charge there since the manager would not be based there. What have I done to deserve such implicit trust in my work after only 2 days?

我到底何得何能?

Then guilt hit me, for my wanting to quit from the job. I feel ashamed that I'm all ready to throw in the towel when someone has such faith in the work I performed. But does that mean I have to give up one more year of my life to the firm? Or should I just be glad for the faith that someone once placed in me and carry that gladness in my heart as I search for my own life experiences?