Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Why bet against the beauty god

To the male audience, sex sells.
To the female audience, vanity sells.

Well, generalization such as men are ruled by their lower body organ is accepted in the society. I do not fight such generalization. I am not a man. How would I know anyway?

But women and vanity….

Since yours truly is a female myself, I held the view that that is overgeneralization of the female population in Singapore. Afterall, there are tones of educated, professional women who toiled hard. And in the midst of all that concentration, who has the time to be bothered with makeup and what-have-you. And naturally, I do not associate myself with the word “vain”.

How wrong.

I have not had a facial done for ages. And in an attempt to salvage the face that stared back at me when I was in Japan, I finally dragged myself to the spa to have facial done. Honestly, I do not like facials. They bloody hell hurt like nuts, and you always end up with a red face and blots for the next 12 hours, which does not make you suitable for the general population in public. Why go around scaring people and have weird looks cast your way?

But, since I aspire have nice and smooth skin even as I age by the second, it is time to go to a facial session. And it is time to make that facial session a regular one.

As with all facial sessions, we begin with a skin assessment.

I’ll skip all those awful details. But to all aspiring spa owners, one sure way to hook up a female customer? Just tell them during their skin assessment that they are acne-prone. It is a sure-fire way to turn them into regulars.

Well, I do know that I have rather oily skin since I started work. But I have never associated myself with the word “acne”. I mean the images that acne conjures up are all those red, inflamed scars on other people’s faces. Not mine!? My face does not least resemble those images.

But according to the spa manager’s thoughtful “hmms” & “okay”, comments like “you have rather oily skin and a lot of whiteheads and blackheads”, she concluded that I am acne-prone. Nope, not that I have acne now. But I am in the high-risk category of getting it, if I do not pay to get regular facials done now while no 911 damage has been done yet.

Telling that to any normal hormonal lady is the equivalent of telling a man that he will get low sex drive should he not eat his greens. The man will eat his peas and the lady will get her regular facials.

Am I being vain?

I will still not put on makeup, and I will not change my no-style dress sense. I will continue walking around in my sneakers and flip-flops.

But I do know I want to have nice good skin without makeup. I want to reduce the instances of getting pimples and preferably no pigmentation since I am only in my 20s.

If that qualifies as being vain, then I will adopt the moniker, albeit grudgingly.

Why bet against the beauty god?
If she warrants facials, facials it will be. So long I do not get acne or whatever scars.

Now, where did I put my eye-cream…..