Sunday, September 19, 2004

Wakeup Call

I have always kept it at the back of my head that I am a very lucky girl. I am educated; born in a developed country; never knew really what poverty means; had the chance to travel and see the world. But being the imperfect human being that I am, there are times when I would lament the state of my life or my mind. When such times happen, the mentality is "woe onto me". And I would be wondering how unlucky and unfortunate I am when things do not go my way & I would go into an highly irritated state of mind.

In such times, I forgot that I am one damn lucky lass.

I always believed that my life is one planned series of happenings and coincidences. So often, I do try to view the happenings in my life as objectively as I can. Least I miss an enlightening moment. Yesterday I watched a movie and to say "enlightening" was not even paying the minimum respect to the show.

I watched Osama yesterday, courtesy of Sharon. I have to admit I was never a very big fan of foreign films. I am more of a Hollywood & Hong Kong movie trash viewer. Often, I just want to be entertained when I watched something. If I want any other sort of mental or emotional stimulation, I would choose to read really.

But as people say, a picture is worth a thousand words. A movie is worth more than any attempts at mental visualization. And the images from the movie last night was brutal, to say the least. Osama is a tragic movie which shows Afghan under the Taliban rule where no one really had any personal right and freedom. The injustice against the womenfolk was never-ending. It showed how the fanatic rule of fundamentalists can turn into a tragedy for many people.

Honestly, halfway through the show, I just wanted to close my ears and shut out the sounds of the movie. It was hard to accept that something like that had happened just half a globe away. It is equally disturbing to admit at the back of my head that there are still plenty of injustice done to women around the world, whether I like it or not.

Oh my god, what sort of a world am I living in?

We often go about in this developed world of ours, grappling with our own secondary issues everyday of bills and jobs and what-have-you, while there are plenty others who are grappling with the basic issues of life and death and survival. Whatever issues I am grappling with right now ranks pretty low on the list of whatever other people in the world are grappling with. So just stop lamenting and stop griping.

Those images from the movie was a wakeup call (almost like a punch that took the wind out of you), with a much needed readjustment in the perspective of life.

Life is a beautiful thing and if no one spoils it for you (like what certain environment might do it for others), don't go out there and wreak it myself with my own micro-perspective of life.