Thursday, January 22, 2004

ahh! It's the first day of our Lunar New Year today! Last night on the eve, I welcomed home a new member of our family. She's called "Xiaoping" .... She's 40 days old, whines a lot and she's a fur-ball ;o)

Yupz.... We have a little puppy at home now!
(I would love to post a photo here. Just as soon as I get it uploaded, I'll post a link here)

Originally I thought I would have a good rest last night. How wrong! I neglected that puppies are generally insecure when they just arrive at a new place. We left her at her little area to sleep at night. For the half hr when we were observing her, she seem pretty alright on her own. So my sister and me decided to just leave her alone to sleep while we retire to our own rooms.

Lo and behold, Xiaoping started whining at 330am. Talk about 凌晨3点. We both scrambled up at the same time *surprisingly*. Amazingly Xiaoping stopped whining as soon as she was out of her fenced area and in our arms. We figured she just didn't feel secure sleeping on her own in unfamiliar territory. So she had to sleep with either one of us.

She ended up in my room at 4am.

All I can say is, for the first time in my life, I had to cover a puppy with a blanket; checked that she doesn't feel cold; leave a light on so she can spot me on my bed. It was an interesting experience, but it most certainly does not leave me with a lot of time to sleep. Not when she decided she was hungry at 6am and decided to start whining again!

For the rest of the day, she would just whine as much if you leave her in her fenced area, unless she's snoozed for a while. She would prefer to just sleep by your feet, even if you are reading the papers. I guess it makes her feel secure in a way.

I feel like a mother now, with a puppy at home ;o)

It should make for a very interesting monkey year in 2004!