Wednesday, February 11, 2004

I enjoy watching plays, musicals, dance & movies (collectively known as “the play” here). A lot. I like the feeling of having a drama unfold in front of me. And normally for as long as the play continues, I would be quite absorbed in it. I wouldn’t fidget, or look at the person beside me, or wonder about the time (Okay, unless it is really a boring play).

Plays present me with a world very different from the reality I know. But today, I shan’t wonder exactly why I like plays.

Last sat I watched another play. Very interesting play. It’s called Asian Boys II, about gays in Singapore. I was never very shocked about gay relationships, so it was not very scandalous to me whatsoever. But one statement made by one of cast hit me in the face. The statement left a very very deep impression.

“You remember the dates. Leave it to me to remember the moments”.

I was stunned. Why was I stunned? I’m not too sure. Maybe by the inference we can make from that statement.

Have I, in the course of my life, over-glorified the importance of dates, and neglected to celebrate the moments in my life?

I probably had.

My entire course of existence was marked by dates. For example:-

1. Birthday – 4 Oct
2. Date I got attached – 11 Nov
3. Date my heart broke – 11 Nov
4. Date I started work – 13 Aug
5. Date I got my driving license – 24 March
6. Date I tendered (which is actually something I would do soon) – 13 Feb
7. Date I …… – 12 Jan
8. Date I got my new car – 10 April

So many dates. Do they really mean anything? Why do I remember the dates?

I guess remembering dates for them being milestones is fine. They represent a certain stage of our lives. Apart from that, is there any point in remembering dates? Perhaps to remind ourselves that we once had moments that took our breath away; moments that left their imprint in our minds; moments that caused so much emotional upheaval that we truly felt alive or dead.

In our busy everyday life, we hardly have enough time to rest and think, let alone have the energy to remember moments. So we settle for the second-best choice. We choose to remember the dates instead. At least they serve as reminders that our lives are not as vanilla plain as we think they are.

But we should not over-emphasis on dates. Celebrate and enjoy the moments in our lives too! Moments big or trivial, they all still make up our experience in life.

A moment today brought a smile to my face.

I was standing at the traffic junction, waiting to cross the road and at the same time bemoaning that it is another start of the workday. A gentle breeze came by. While I swept a lock of hair from my eyes, I looked up and saw the leaves fluttering in the wind. Not quite dropping off the branches but dancing rhythmically with the breeze. I smiled and took a deep breath. It smelt more of nature than the pollution of the city.

For that few moments, I forgot where I was and enjoyed the breeze for where it was.

Today is not a date of any importance. But the moment today, I remember, and will remember.

Leave it to me to remember the moments.